Wednesday, October 5, 2022

If you can't beat them.

As time goes by and retirement creeps closer, I find myself wondering about downsizing - which, in my case, means editing down my library, a daunting prospect.  I fully admit if I didn't have so many books we could probably get away with a one bedroom apartment, although I'd still need a spot for my iMac.

But what's the most profitable way of going about this?  I realize that I could just donate them all to a charity of some sort, but to be honest, if possible I'd like to get back some of the money I've invested over the years - money also being a useful thing for retirement.

I know that used bookstores have to get their inventory from someplace, but I can't help but feel that they want to pay as little as possible for the privilege. As such, I'm not sure that's the best solution.  Hmmm...I wonder whether it would be feasible to set up a store online?  I know there are options like Abebooks, which I believe would charge me a minimum of $25 USD per month depending on how much stock was listed online, along with 8% of every transaction (minimum 50 cents) and associated service fees.

I finally realized that what I really want to do is set up a little book stall like the ones by the Seine in Paris*, just sit there with a mug of chocolat chaud and a suitable book from the stock to read while I keep an eye on the traffic and hope for some sales - how sad that there's nothing like that in Vancouver!

- Sid

Postscript:  A quick Google™ search revealed that a non-food street vending license in Vancouver costs almost a thousand dollars annually - plus liability insurance.   Suddenly $25 USD a month doesn't seem exorbitant.

* I've seen something similar in New York, come to think of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment