Tuesday, September 3, 2013

"Great Hera!"


Okay, you've got me:  I don't care if Ben Affleck plays Batman.

I don't blame Mr. Affleck for the failings of the Daredevil movie.  I think there's a difference between what you do and what is done to you, and I think that he did the best he could with the role.  Would I have picked him for Batman?  Probably not my first choice*, but I'm willing to let him take a shot at it:  too many other people, like Michael Keaton and Heath Ledger, have been publicly villified for taking on iconic roles and then gone on to set the standard. 

ANYway, once the smoke from the whole Batffleck thing has cleared, hopefully we can get back to the important question that's in front of us:  when are they going to give Wonder Woman a shot at the big screen?

Wonder Woman has been the topic of a couple of postings here:  I've looked at her roots and how it's influenced her portrayal in the DC Universe, and I've also talked about ethnic opportunities in casting her for live action.

However, the issue here is the opposite of the Batman casting question.  I really don't care who they cast as Wonder Woman - there are all sorts of options there, each with its own opportunities and pitfalls.  The big question is how they decide to portray the character.

There are already a couple of independently produced trailer/short film presentations of Wonder Woman available online, which show two very different approaches: one relies on her WWII roots for inspiration, and the other is more of a plain-clothes introduction to Diana Prince.



They’re both well done, and I think they present an interesting challenge to the producers of a Wonder Woman film, but they don’t really show the full magnitude of the character’s abilities.  The comic book version of Wonder Woman has gone up and down the range of abilities over the years, but I think that it’s generally accepted that her strength rivals that of Superman - a difficult impression to create on an independent budget.

Really though, this is all moot:  Wonder Woman has already been perfectly brought to life (so to speak) in five seasons of the animated Justice League/Justice League Unlimited series, as well as in a solo feature-length animated film.**  The Wonder Woman of the animated world is everything that the character should be, and that should provide the guidelines for live action.

So, there you go, Hollywood, there's Wonder Woman. All you have to do is to follow what they did in the animated versions.

Make her strong.

Make her proud.

Make her compassionate, but determined.

Make her fearless.

Make her a warrior.

Make her a goddess.  

Make her wonderful.

- Sid

* I don't actually have a first choice, I'd have to do some research.

** The animated DC Comics television adaptations - Batman, Superman, Justice League, Teen Titans -  have all been excellent.  It's unfortunate that DC has such an uneven record in live action.

No comments:

Post a Comment