Saturday, April 16, 2022

Four Day Geekend 2022: Space Cadet!

Space Academy, USA, in the world beyond tomorrow. Here the Space Cadets train for duty on distant planets. In roaring rockets, they blast through the millions of miles from Earth to far-flung stars and brave the dangers of cosmic frontiers protecting the liberties of the planets, safeguarding the cause of universal peace in the age of the conquest of space!

Introduction: Tom Corbett, Space Cadet

As part of my last trip to Toronto, I did a chilly February tour of bookstores that left me just a little too overextended to visit the BMV Books outlet that I passed on my way back to the hotel at the end of my day. This time I plan to start with BMV - albeit not the same one - and see where I end up.

I have a choice of locations to visit because BMV has three outlets in Toronto, which is a strong indicator of a more than successful used bookstore - I've always felt that most used bookstores are constantly one step away from having to hock the family silverware to keep the doors open.  However, BMV is not just about books, their mandate includes magazines, comic books, DVDs, CDs and vinyl albums, and similar vintage media. The downtown location is a convenient couple of blocks from my hotel, so I start there.

I find a few books of interest in their science fiction section, including a couple of replacement texts for my collection, but I'm not overwhelmed by the selection - which happens, I do have a large library to compare against, and this wouldn't be the first used bookstore that has had fewer genre books than I do.  With a bit of a mental shrug, I decide to do a walk around the store just out of curiousity to see what else they have on display.

At the back of the store is a solitary bookshelf of what appears to be selection of older and more collectable books, where I'm intrigued to see a trio of Tom Corbett: Space Cadet novelizations with printed case wrap covers, like a Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew book.* They're not in perfect condition, there's some minor scuffing and wear at the top and bottom of the spines, but other than that they're in excellent shape, and if they're original copies from the 1950s I would consider them to be a bit of a find.

However, they could easily be reprints, so I spend the next fifteen minutes burning some of my cellular data allowance trying to nail down the printing history of Tom Corbett adaptations, without finding anything definitive.  I finally decide to have some faith in the flyleaf publication info, and buy all three for a total cost of about $35.00 - which, sadly, would probably not quite buy me a single new hardcover at the current market rates.

Although Tom Corbett, Space Cadet has dropped off the cultural radar over the years since it first appeared on the airwaves in 1950, it was in many ways the Star Trek of its era, both in terms of popularity and spin-off marketing. 

The term "Space Cadet" originate with the 1948 novel of the same name by Robert A. Heinlein, one of the dozen** juvenile/young adult SF novels that he wrote for the Scribner's publishing house after WWII.  Space Cadet moves the Horatio Hornblower concept into the future:  young Matt Dodson becomes a cadet in the Interplanetary Patrol, makes new friends and foes at the training academy, then undergoes challenges and perils while serving on a Patrol ship with his fellow graduates. 

Although an early version of Tom Corbett had been in unsuccessful development as a radio play and daily comic strip using the name Tom Ranger, Heinlein's novel inspired creator Joseph Greene to change the character's name (and title) and relaunch it in 1950 as a TV series starring Frankie Thomas in the titular role of Tom Corbett.***  It was an instant hit, and spawned a wide selection of merchandise: toys, books, a daily newspaper comic strip, comic books, and finally, in 1952, the radio version that was the concept’s origin, using the same cast as the television show.

Eight Tom Corbett novelizations were published between 1952 and 1956, and I’ve purchased the first three: Stand By For Mars, Danger in Deep Space, and On the Trail of the Space Pirates.  My copies of Danger in Deep Space and On the Trail of the Space Pirates are from additional print runs in 1953, but the first book, Stand By For Mars, appears to be a first edition from 1952. (Pro tip: if a book lists all the novels in a series, including the ones that come after it, it’s not a first printing.)

The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction web site confirms that the Grosset and Dunlap editions of the Tom Corbett hardcovers were only printed in the 1950s, so the oldest of my acquisitions is in fact 70 years old, and all three are in pretty good shape for their age.  I’m pleased to have found them, it’s like discovering a little piece of science fiction history – although it’s a little sad that being a space cadet is no longer something to be proud of.

- Sid

* Apparently this is not the obvious description that I think it is - my friend Colin, aka Cloin of the Campbell Brothers, said that he has never seen a Hardy Boys book, which I find to be surprising.  It's less surprising that he's never heard of Tom Corbett.

** The thirteenth novel was Starship Troopers, which was rejected by Scribner's.  You can probably make a case for Heinlein's 1963 novel Podkayne of Mars being a YA novel, but apparently Heinlein didn't consider it to be one of his juvenile works.  Come to think of it, I don't own a copy of Podkayne of Mars, I originally read my mother's copy many years ago and haven't seen it since.

*** For anyone in search of extra credit,  you can watch a couple of episodes of the show on YouTube™:

Assignment Mercury
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uOeGK6zuiE 

Mystery of the Missing Mail Ship
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6E3_A2A7uY

No comments:

Post a Comment