Friday, April 15, 2022

Four Day Geekend 2022: GothAM.

Friday morning, and I'm heading down to Queen Street West in hopes that Toronto comic book icon The Silver Snail is in fact opening its doors to shoppers on Good Friday as promised on Twitter™. 

As I finish successfully jaywalking across University Avenue, I casually  notice that there's a TV production vehicle parked in front of the Superior Court of Justice building - but wait, what program is that on the side of the van?

Ah, right, Goth A.M., ha, I see what you did there.

But what is a Gotham (or GothA.M.) remote broadcasting van doing in Toronto?  To the best of my knowledge, Vancouver has been the city of choice for shooting the various DC Comics television series, and I'm confident that we're not quite at the point of starting filming the next Robert Pattison Batman movie.

A little research after the event revealed that the Teen Titans production team - sorry, just Titans, I gather that we're not dealing with teenagers -  has chosen Toronto to stand in for Gotham (and is apparently willing to pay holiday rates to shoot on Good Friday in order to get access to empty courtrooms).

It's understandable that I wouldn't have done the math on that at the time. I haven't followed the live action Titans* series at all, and the landmark 1980s comic book series by writer by Marv Wolfman and artist George PĂ©rez that has provided much of the framework for the show** had the Titans based in New York City (in a sharp departure from DC's standard alternative superhero map of Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Smallville, etc.)

All of that aside, it was kind of fun to see the van, but honestly?  I was really hoping to run into someone from Star Trek: Discovery.

- Sid

* Although I was a regular viewer of the popular Teen Titans animated series that ran for five seasons in the early 2000s - I still have an nostalgic affection for the show's distinctive theme song as performed by Japanese pop duo Puffy AmiYumi.  In that version, Titans Tower was located in Jump City, somewhere on the west coast of the United States.

** Along with a dash of the Young Justice animated series, in the form of Conner/Superboy, the Superman clone.

No comments:

Post a Comment