Monday, July 12, 2021

"Space has given us all the chance to dream."


Space has given us all the chance to dream: Of beauty and wonder. Of great adventures. Of being part of something bigger than ourselves. And now…

You’ll be one of the first people to live that dream on a Virgin Galactic spaceflight! 

Let that soak in for a minute. You’re. Going. To. Space.

You and your guest will board a Virgin Galactic spaceship where you’ll take off smoothly, just like an airplane, and watch as the colors outside your window change from blue to indigo to midnight black...

Hovering above Earth, nothing can prepare you for the breathtaking views of our bright planet and surrounding galaxy. Or hearing “you are now free to float about the cabin.” 

Cameras throughout the cabin will record every moment in HD. With 17 circular windows for viewing, every seat is a window seat. And there’s even a mirror to watch yourself floating through space.

Following a smooth glide descent, you’ll return back to Earth safely, but forever transformed. You’re an astronaut now.

Sir Richard Branson*, Omaze Contest Page

Today I purchased 250 chances at space for a mere $32 CAD on the Omaze contest site - I could easily have bought more than that, but I'm a bit of a believer in fate: if I'm meant to win, all I really need is one.

I have no real expectation of winning – unfortunately, I have a terrible track record for anything involving luck – but it’s certainly an awe-inspiring opportunity. Whatever my misgivings about the substance of Virgin Galactic’s successful first flight, if I won I would eagerly take my seat aboard Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo in anticipation of experiencing zero gravity and seeing the Earth from orbit. 

The prize draw will take place at the end of September, just a few days after my birthday.  If any of the Fates are listening, it would certainly be one hell of a 60th birthday gift. 

- Sid

*  More likely Sir Richard's PR department, but let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment