Saturday, February 8, 2020

Disneyland 2020: Merch.


Photo by KT
What would a trip be without some souvenirs? Visiting Galaxy's Edge is no exception, and there are certainly lots of options from which to choose.  I picked up a couple of t-shirts:  an unexpectedly long one for Rise of the Resistance, as unintentionally modeled above, and a Black Spire Outpost shirt.

 

I also grabbed a great R2-D2 mug, which is quite large and very sturdy, and some pins:  the infamous "I love you!"/"I know." exchange that Karli and I didn't buy the t-shirt version of during our first visit to Disneyland, a limited edition droid pin, and some Resistance propaganda. (Apparently Disney pins are a fandom all on their own, my apologies to anyone who is deprived of that droid pin because of my purchase.)


Karli and I also made each other action figure droids at an assembly workstation in one of the stores.  We showed the results to each other, and ended up buying them.  They cleverly come with blister packs and stick-on lettering so that you can name your figure - Karli is KT-74, and I'm going to be S-P61.*

More significant are the merch opportunities that I decided against.  Galaxy's Edge offers visitors two Star Wars-themed construction opportunities.


First, you can construct your own customized Bluetooth-controlled astromech droid (BB or R series) at the Droid Depot for $99.99 USD,  batteries probably not included - the Droid Depot web page is not explicit.

For the seriously committed would-be Jedi, the second do-it-yourself souvenir is your own light saber, assembled in a secret ceremony at Savi's workshop for $199.00 USD. Builders can choose from four different styles of light sabers, each of which has a selection of parts that can used in the final assembly - not to mention your choice of kyber crystal colours.


I won't lie, I did find the light saber ceremony a bit tempting, but in the final analysis I declined:  although the ones that I saw people carrying around looked quite impressive, two hundred bucks US felt too much like real money, and I can't imagine what it was like to get one home without breaking it.


Surprisingly, the US Transport Security Administration is totally fine with having a light saber in your carry-on, and concludes their statement on the topic by cheerfully hoping that the Force is with us - which is completely not how I see the TSA when I'm at a US airport.

- Sid

* We're a very cute couple.  Karli made the R-type with the mouse ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment