Monday, January 20, 2020

Four Day Geekend: Bad Manors



For my last night in Toronto, I decided to visit the local branch of the Storm Crow.  Since the opening of its Commercial Drive location in 2012, the Storm Crow geek-and-gamer-bar franchise has been a complete success in Vancouver, with the popular Broadway outlet opening its doors in 2015.  Having had the pleasure of spending time at both those locations, I was eager to complete the hat trick by visiting the Storm Crow Manor on Church Street.

 

Surprisingly, and a bit sadly, I didn't love it.

It’s difficult to say exactly why I was left cold by my experience. On paper, all the same elements were there:  I was seated in their Victorian hunting room, which featured a large bone hatchet right beside me, a large mounted rancor head in front of me and an equally large Beholder head behind, but somehow it still didn't work for me in terms of atmosphere.

 

As its name would indicate, the Toronto venue is a large converted manor house, and they’ve chosen to keep the basic room divisions, which may take away some of the communal feel that I'm used to from the Vancouver locations.  It's certainly busy enough - there's a steady flow of traffic through the foyer, in spite of the fact that it's Sunday night and it's freezing cold outside.

The menu is very similar, with a couple of unexpected differences:  apparently Eastern Canada rates garlic bread, steak, and french onion soup, all of which I think would be welcome in Vancouver (in case anyone from the company is reading this).

My server gave me none of the geek vibe that the Vancouver contingent has, but then neither did the waitress during my first visit to the original Tavern. She also managed to get my order a bit wrong - twice - but that’s a thing that can happen anywhere.

I can’t help but think they could have done more with the blank canvas of this building. Perhaps something that was more ostensibly 19th century in its approach, more Lovecraft than Lucas, more steampunk than science fiction - there are hints of that in the decor where I'm sitting, but really, only hints.

I finished my food, I finished my beer, I settled up my bill, and I left, feeling a bit like I'd wasted my night out, and without even getting a comment on my Doctor Who "The Angels have the phone box" t-shirt.

But, let's be fair - I only saw a bit of the space, and I might have left with a completely different impression if I'd been sitting on the second floor, or in a different room.  I'd like to think that the same sense of geek community that's made the Vancouver Storm Crows so popular is there in Toronto as well, and I just need to come back at the right time to find it there.

- Sid

No comments:

Post a Comment