Sunday, August 11, 2019

"FRAGILE - that must be Italian!"


 
Hey Sid, I was wondering if you, as a collector of SF stuff, would be interested in my Star Trek mugs? Yours for the asking. Also I have two Dr. Who bobbleheads (Dr's 10 and 11?) who might like to join the migration (can't remember if you got any of those). Let me know. 
- Colin
Recently my friend Colin found himself facing a problem that we've all at some point in our lives:  too many possessions, not enough room.  As part of his solution, he regretfully decided to clean house, figuratively and literally, and divest himself of a few tchotchkes whose day had come and gone.

But what to do with the culled items?  Deciding that donating them to the Salvation Army would be an ignominious conclusion to their years of service, he decided to contact me and ask if I'd be interested in adopting some SF-related pieces, as per the introductory excerpt.

I declined the two Doctor Who bobbleheads, since Colin had actually given me a set of 10 and 11 for my birthday in 2016, but cheerfully (and gratefully) offered to take the other items off his hands. 

 

The Star Trek line of collector's mugs were distributed by now-defunct novelty manufacturer Applause Inc. Their initial 1994 release featured Kirk, Spock, and McCoy from the original Star Trek series; Data, Worf, Crusher, Troi, La Forge and a Borg from The Next Generation, Odo, Quark and a Cardassian from Deep Space Nine, and Neelix from Voyager, which suggests that Colin did his shopping early in the release cycle.  Q and the alien Gorn were added to the lineup in 1996, and in 1997 they were joined by Sisko, Jadzia Dax, Janeway and a Kazon from the Delta Quadrant. (Oddly enough, Jean-Luc Picard does not seem to have made the cut for porcelain immortality.)

Applause, which opened its doors in 1966, was noted for a wide range of licensed pop culture items, but declared bankruptcy in 2004,* thereby making their themed mugs even more collectable. (Sadly, Colin's mugs aren't completely mint, it's hard to own a mug for 25 years without a mark or two, but I am no less pleased to have them.)  I don't know if their choice of products had any bearing on their eventual corporate downfall -  the whole idea of head-shaped mugs seems a bit strange, and, honestly, they're not very practical for morning coffee, they're ridiculously difficult to clean.

The astute observer will have noticed that one of the mugs in the photo is in fact from Doctor Who rather than Star Trek, an unexpected bonus item.

 

Similarly, there was also a Weeping Angel bobblehead from Doctor Who, which my wife apparently does NOT want to unexpectedly find snarling at her from inside the medicine cabinet when she's sleepily getting ready for work in the morning.

Now, ironically, I face the same problem that prompted Colin in the first place - all I have to do is to find room for my new acquisitions in my already overcrowded second bedroom/library/study.  Well, as they say on Star Trek, space IS the final frontier...

- Sid

* Following the death of its CEO, who committed suicide when it became obvious that the company was not going to survive - I have to say that this is unexpectedly dark for research results on a company that made head-shaped mugs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment