Sunday, January 10, 2016

"Surprise..."


 
Now you could study Shakespeare and be quite elite
And you can charm the critics and have nothin' to eat
Just slip on a banana peel
The world's at your feet
Make 'em laugh
Make 'em laugh
Make 'em laugh
Donald O'Connor, Singin' in the Rain.
I honestly though that I'd misheard the category when it was announced that Matt Damon had won Best Actor, Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy at the 2016 Golden Globes™ for his performance in The Martian - which went on to win Best Picture, Musical or Comedy.

Wait, what?

Although my girlfriend Karli shared my confusion at this unexpected turn of events, at least she was able to shed some light on how it could have happened.  Apparently if a nominee does not expect to win, they are allowed to compete in a different category, provided that they can convince the Hollywood Foreign Press Association that they qualify in said alternative category. 

The decision not to go head-to-head with Leonardo DiCaprio and The Revenant was probably a wise one, but in all honesty, I have to say that I cannot remember Matt Damon singing even a single note in The Martian.
- Sid

No comments:

Post a Comment