Saturday, September 26, 2015

The Who Fighters?


Hi Sid, just wanted to ask what size t-shirt do you wear now, is it a medium or a large?
Colin
p.s. This information may not automatically indicate that a t-shirt is or will be purchased with you in mind.
When it's coming up on your birthday and your best friend asks you what t-shirt size you wear, it's difficult to avoid doing a bit of deductive reasoning regarding possible gifts coming your way.


However, this morning when I opened the parcel that Colin had sent me, I was bemused to discover a handcrafted wooden box with the image of my Buck Rogers disintegrator pistol carved into the lid.  Intrigued, I opened the box to discover a matching picture on cloth inside a plastic bag.


I opened the bag, and to my extreme pleasure found that it contained a 20th Anniversary Foo Fighters t-shirt, decorated with an image of the same ray gun.*  I'm not a big Foo Fighters listener**, but I would be willing to bet that very few people who own that t-shirt own the matching sidearm.

Frustrated by my inability to get an attractive crease-free shot of my new apparel, I decided to resort to the internet in hopes of getting a good catalogue shot of the front of the t-shirt.  To my astonishment, I discovered that what I had in my possession was a limited edition item from a run of only 750.

As a result, I actually felt a bit guilty.  I can't help but think that someplace out there, a serious David Grohl fan is grinding their teeth because they place the 751st order for an anniversary t-shirt - just after Colin placed his.  Regardless, it's a great gift for people who are fans of ray guns rather than rock bands - thanks again, Colin!!

- Sid

P.S. Other blogworthy*** presents include a very cool Spider-Man T-shirt from Karli's sister Stefanie (along with old-style liquorice cigars, very much appreciated) and a Doctor Who scarf from Christi - oddly enough, also in a wooden box.  Is this a thing?

My thanks to everyone for their gifts!

* This is actually a double score from the SF fan perspective.  The phrase "foo fighter" originates during World War II, and was used to refer to Unidentified Flying Object sightings by pilots.

** Colin was kind enough to include a CD of the band's greatest hits so that I could remedy this gap in my experience.

*** In order to give full credit where it's due, my girlfriend Karli presented me with a fabulous, wonderful, deeply personal gift and an incredible day - neither of which had any application to this blog, which is actually sort of impressive all on its own.  Thank you again for everything, my love!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday (again), darling!! I loved our (non-blogworthy) day together!

    ReplyDelete