Friday, August 9, 2013

Gaiman Manqué.


Neil Gaiman knocks it out of the park in Vancouver.
Headline from the Vancouver Straight website.

 Reporting in from the paradise on earth which is Nanaimo...

Sorry, that's unfair to Nanaimo, but I'm just a little bitter. Had things gone according to plan, this is where the posting on Neil Gaiman's sold-out appearance at the Vogue Theatre last night would have gone - thanks to an advance warning from my friend Annie, I bought my ticket a month and a half back, and I had every expectation that it was going to be a brilliant evening.  I've mentioned Mr. Gaiman previously - he's quite probably the best living fantasy author around, not to mention being better than a lot of dead fantasy authors as well.  Vancouver was the final stop in Gaiman's North American promotional tour for his lastest novel, The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

As things have actually worked out, this is my posting on being sent to Vancouver Island for two days to collect subject matter at the Duke Point Terminal in order to develop site-specific content for longshore training in heavy lift truck, yard tractor, dock gantry and cargo checker.

Sigh... I believe this qualifies as "taking one for the team".  Oh, well - at least the sunrise at Nanaimo Harbour was lovely this morning.


- Sid

5 comments:

  1. At least put the reimbursement for the ticket towards something else fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reimbursement? What reimbursement?
    - Sid

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you give it to someone or keep it, hoping there would be a last minute cancellation?

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Given that my employers have a history of last-minute changes in scheduling due to unexpected events, I decided to hold onto my ticket just in case. (Which is why I was able to scan it for the posting - ah, finally, a teensy silver lining...)
    - Sid

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's your call if you decide to "take one for the team", but letting your superiors know it was a sacrifice due to prior plans....would make them aware of your extreme professional dedication.

    ReplyDelete