Sunday, February 17, 2013

Tidbits IV.

Or maybe just cheaper than showing Armageddon.


Speaking of threatening meteors, I see that Space is showing Deep Impact today, which is either an astonishing coincidence or really responsive programming.

(And possibly in slightly bad taste under the circumstances, come to think of it.)


Obviously a science fiction fan in the wait staff.


The latest from the good people at Johnnie Fox's Irish Snug who previously used quantum physics to flog Guinness.


Not only that, but it's sold out.
I admit to having made my share of genre-related purchases.  I have a souvenir Doctor Who t-shirt from London, a variety of toy robots, a couple of animé action figures, and of course my slowly growing Major Matt Mason collection, but I'd like to think that I've kept it under control.


That being said, I can understand both the desire to build a perfect replica of the HAL 9000 interface from 2001: A Space Odyssey, and the urge to own one.  But honestly, five hundred bucks?* 

I think that HAL himself says it best:  "I'm sorry, I can't do that, Dave."
 

Regardless, thanks for your support.
In September of 2012, I proudly reported that The Infinite Revolution was number 23,702,450 out of all the web sites in the world, which put me very close to the top ten percent.  Astonishingly, in the subsequent five month period, I've jumped to 12,745,249 - how is this possible?  Who are all these visitors, and why do they never leave any comments?  Damn it, speak up, people!
- Sid

* However, I'm not here to tell people how to live their lives.  Should this screen grab give you the desire to shout "Shut up and take my money" at the ThinkGeek orderbot, you can obtain your very own HAL 9000 here.

3 comments:

  1. Do you figure these are "real" readers or just bots/engines/spiders? No one comments on MY blog either, although it gets only a fraction of the readership that yours does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, I assume that a large portion of my "readership" finds its origins in complex algorithms rather than DNA. But that can't entirely explain the situation.

    You post four to five times more frequently on a monthly basis than I do, but according to the same site that rated my blog, there isn't enough data on http://fuellog.blogspot.ca/ to register. Logically, if it was all bots and webcrawlers, more posts would mean more traffic, but it would appear that content plays a part as well.

    How sad - and yet not surprising - that comments on starships and droids generate more visits than posts on healthy eating.

    - Sid

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously you have never gone in to see who is the sci fi fan in that place?

    ReplyDelete