Sunday, January 1, 2012

Is there anybody out there?


"I don't know," he said, "it's practice, partly. I don't know. We're each of us alone, to be sure. What else can you do other than hold your hand out in the dark?"
Ursula K. LeGuin, Nine Lives
I don't do anything to promote this blog, and yet for whatever reason over the last year I've seen a steady rise in page views every month.

I used to think that all those hits were Eastern European bots looking for places to promote performance-related products for males, but evidence indicates that this isn't the case. First, there's a definite bias toward specific postings.  Second, I checked with my friend Laurie, who posts about three times as frequently on her blog as I do on mine, and she only gets about a quarter of the hits, so there's got to be something else going on.

There are four people that I know socially who follow this blog. People at my workplace sometimes mention that they've had a look at my blog (and I solemnly inform them that I'm not one of the people there that they need to suck up to), but only about 14 of the people I work with know about The Infinite Revolution.  None of this is adding up to the 2,470 page views that the stats show for December.

So I have a favour to ask of you, whoever you are.  If you didn't check in just to find out about Wonder Woman's bondage roots (the most popular post) and you happen to read this, I'd appreciate it if you'd say hello in the Comments, either here or in the posting that brought you here. You don't need to say anything else if you don't want to - just hello.  Don't be shy - if it helps, imagine it as being like making first contact with an alien life form. 

And if you are a Russian spambot, just give up. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Blogger automatically diverts all those penis enlargement comments into a holdfile.
- Sid

7 comments:

  1. No answer yet? Does this mean you can make more money on advertising?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I am, in fact, a sentient being from another planet! We are constantly looking for new markets for our corporations and would like to use your blog as a gateway to this world! Although our anatomy is different, I am sure arrangements can be made after a few experiments (by the way would you like to volunteer for these experiments - a lifetime's supply of our product is our reward!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...

    - Sid

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could leave a comment and sign it as Ushi Zimm but you'd know.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do check in on a regular basis as you probably know so I am out there (maybe in more than one respect). I don't often leave comments however. Well, except for the occasional bit like this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do check in on a regular basis as you probably know so I am out there (maybe in more than one respect). I don't often leave comments however. Well, except for the occasional bit like this.

    ReplyDelete