Sunday, December 25, 2011

With apologies to my Secret Santa.



You know, it's comforting to discover that if you talk about your interests enough, people will eventually get the idea and apply that knowledge where appropriate.*  As an example, although I expected some sort of generic gift-card style present from my Secret Santa in our workplace holiday gift exchange, to my complete surprise I received two robot-themed Christmas ornaments and a collection of Dilbert cartoons. (Living on the edge with the last one, but they got lucky and bought one of the Dilbert collections that I don't already own.**)

However, I failed to grasp the fact that the ornaments were made out of glass, and as such didn't use sufficient care when unwrapping them at home.  The result, one broken robot. Fortunately, the ornaments came packed in a box from the Vancouver Art Gallery gift shop, so I decided to pay them a visit on my way home on Friday and purchase a replacement.

Once there, I was intrigued to see that there was a selection of other science-fiction themed decorations, and on the spur of the moment decided to add a couple of the others to my collection:



I'm particularly amused by the vaguely apprehensive expression on the flying saucer snowman's face as he looks toward the skies as if into the future.  Let's hope that there's nothing more intimidating than sunshine and warm weather in that future for all of us.

Happy holidays and merry Christmas, everyone - here we are again, half way out of the dark...
- Sid

* With certain exceptions - I won't name names here, but someone in my life has come to the erroneous conclusion that I have enough books, which is of course dead wrong.  I don't have enough shelves, either, darlin'...

** Wait - was owning Dilbert collections on the geek test?

2 comments:

  1. Look it your book collection from the point of view of the average bear: most people own less than 2 dozen books! If I had kept every single book I bought or ever possessed, then I'd need a separate room for a library. I regularly purge my books when I am done with them. And what use do they have once you have read them? Reference books such as dictionaries - yes, that's obvious, but fiction? Do you go back and re-read them every few years?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm...but I do have a separate room for a library, that's why I rent a two-bedroom apartment. If I didn't have books and multiple computers, I could live quite comfortably in a studio. (I won't quote your comment about moving.)

    Really - most people own less than 2 dozen books? Hold on whilst I Google™...hmmm, no clear stats there. How do you come by this number?

    Yes, I do re-read my books, but I also crossed some kind of line a few years back where I became an advanced fan. I own books that I don't really like simply because of their importance in the genre - see my 2009 posting about books (http://theinfiniterevolution.blogspot.com/2009/10/hello-my-name-is-sid.html).

    Sid

    ReplyDelete