Sunday, April 3, 2011

Yes, I do the opening quote thing in e-mails, too.


"So the hours are pretty good then?" he resumed.
The Vogon stared down at him as sluggish thoughts moiled around in the murky depths.
"Yeah, but now that you come to mention it, most of the actual minutes are pretty lousy."
Douglas Adams, The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
I recently pulled my 1979 paperback copy of The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy off the shelf to look up a quote from a Vogon guard for an e-mail to my friend Colin, and to my sharp amazement I realized that the apostrophe was missing from the title.  "Hitch Hiker's" is possessive on the spine, the back cover and the inside content, but somehow they screwed it up on the front!

But, let's be fair, it took me 32 years to notice...
- Sid 

No comments:

Post a Comment