Saturday, July 21, 2007

There's one in every crowd.

As the loyal reader (there's just one, as far as I know) may or may not recall, my first post made some critical comments regarding Chapters' policy of splitting science fiction and fantasy into separate sections. 

I was chatting with Keith, the excruciatingly knowledgeable counter person at Pulp Fiction West, my local used book store here in Vancouver, and I mentioned my conversation at the Chapters checkout desk regarding the spaceships/dragons rule of thumb for dividing SF from fantasy. 

Instantly he darted off into the stacks and pulled out a slightly battered copy of The Elfin Ship, by James P. Blaylock. Well, in my defense, I did say that categorizing the ones with spaceships on the covers as science fiction was "not a hard distinction, but a useful filter for the uninitiated".

- Sid

No comments:

Post a Comment