Wednesday, October 18, 2017

New York X: But then again, too few to mention.


 

And so, back from New York.  It seems odd to say that we had a whirlwind tour of Manhattan, given that we had almost eight full days, but it speaks volumes to say that we didn't manage to fit in everything that we had planned, even with just over a week. (Karli's sister and her family went for four days - now that's a whirlwind visit!)

 

However, even with the limitations of time, we did pretty well:  two visits to the Empire State Building (daylight and nighttime); a backstage tour of NBC Studios;  the MOMA, the Met, the Whitney and the Museum of Natural History; the 9/11 Memorial, which may or may not count as a museum at this point in time; a wonderful wander through Central Park and a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge; two Broadway shows, Wicked and Chicago; some excellent dining experiences, with particular praise for Co. Pizza, Tacombi, Ivan Ramen and PizzArte; and the endlessly entertaining experience of just walking the streets of the city.


I'd also like to thank Michelle for our ideal little AirBnB pied-à-terre in Chelsea. And, as always, my girlfriend Karli was the perfect travel companion - New York would have been dull and tedious without you, my love.

But I do have one regret from the trip: I didn't find the used science fiction bookstore of my dreams.  Given the pivotal position that New York occupies in the development of modern science fiction, combined with a general belief that if you want to buy something, it will be available in New York, I had high hopes for finding a few gems to add to my collection.

The Strand bookstore was a great location, but I obviously misunderstood their position regarding used books. They do purchase used books, but their inventory - at least the portions that I browsed - seemed to be entirely hardcover or trade paperbacks, and relatively recent ones.  I didn't browse through their Rare Books section, but I feel that used science fiction paperbacks only qualify as "rare books" in a few cases (and when they do, they become a rather expensive commodity).  Similarly, Unoppressive Non-Imperialist Bargain Books was an intriguing little spot, but not a used book venue.


I had hoped that Singularity and Co. would be that store, and all evidence on line indicates that, at one point, it would have been exactly the place I was looking for.  However, online evidence also suggests that both the store and the associated scanning endeavour came to an untimely end (to the frustration and irritation of its Kickstarter™ supporters) leaving behind nothing but an empty rental space in Brooklyn and the digital equivalent for their web site.

Further research indicates that had I broadened my search, I might have found what I was looking for in one of the surrounding boroughs, but with the exception of our brief jaunt over to DUMBO, our plans never extended to leaving Manhattan.

Ah, well...there's always next time.
- Sid

No comments:

Post a Comment