Monday, October 14, 2013

Location location location.



And now, a call to action.  I'm in the very early stages of negotiating a joint steampunk costume-and-photoshoot project with a friend of mine - and I mean VERY early, to the point where I'm thinking in terms of the spring or summer of 2014 for actually taking the pictures.  However, if this goes ahead, I see it as being a lot of fun. I imagine the results as being very earth-toned, relying on stripes and ruffles, stockings and short jackets, decorative brass accents, hats with veils, and perhaps a bit of copper pipe here and there– for the steam, you know…

I'm a big fan of environmental photography for things like this - I think it would be a huge tragedy to invest a great deal of time and effort in evoking the alternate history of the British Empire in the form of a costume, only to document it in front of an eight foot roll of white seamless paper in a studio. So, I open this up to those blog readers who live in the Greater Vancouver region: where should we go to photograph the eventual results, if any?*

I realize that the nature of the costume will play a part in the choice of a location.  An intrepid aviatrix would call for a completely different situation than a daring explorer, scientific detective, or corset-clad assassin.  But let's not limit things at this stage, let's start by casting as wide a net as possible - where are the best rivets, girders, gears, locomotives, and arcane engines in the Lower Mainland?

Oh, and just for the record, I don't think that we're going to take the route of creating a steampunk courtesan's costume.  Very little challenge to that, in my mind that just means adding goggles and subtracting clothing, which would make for a completely different photoshoot.  Certainly interesting in its own way, but not what we're after.
- Sid

* See above re: VERY early stages.  Life is full of change, and the whole thing may fall through.  Don't worry, if something does come of this, I do plan to post the results here, with the permission of my collaborator.

5 comments:

  1. I think they cleared the run down industrial areas around north and south Kent avenues next to the Fraser River on the Vancouver side. Anyway it is 1950s era, i.e. oil rather than steam. Might check it out this weekend on bicycle.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's unfortunate that "petroleum punk" doesn't have the same ring to it as steampunk, because the 1950s offers some interesting options in terms of visual style - for example, I've seen some very well done rockabilly versions of Batman and his various villains.
    - Sid

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or you could go to the place that is hidden in plain sight, especially from your perspective - the steam clock in Gastown! Steampunk and Clockpunk worked into one!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's quite an interesting idea! The only problem might be people getting in the way, it's quite a busy spot - but, summertime, early in the morning, no cruise ships around...it's not impossible.
    - Sid

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was walking along Davie St towards the east end where it abuts Marinaside in Yaletown and on the south side of Davie next to the Rouhdhouse Community Centre is an outdoor arena....with a display of a huge locomotive. I was hurrying by and the train engine was inside a glass window and I didn't check to see if it was displayed as part of a mini museum (with admission hours) but it struck me as being quite impressive and well-restored.

    ReplyDelete