Sunday, November 4, 2012

A Boy and His Spacesuit - Part Two.


Paint, Epoxy, and Bolts.

My god, it's Steampunk Barbie's spacesuit helmet! was my first thought when I saw this odd item sitting in a recycling bin as I made my way home from a Sunday gym visit.  Provenance aside, it looked as it might be a perfect solution to the helmet problem for my 2012 Hallowe'en spacesuit, so I scooped it up along with a variety of other intriguing bits and pieces of plastic and acrylic from the bin, stuffed it in with my water bottle and towel, and headed home with a renewed interest in costume creation.

A bit of research revealed that my new collection of material was the remnants of someone's discarded Habitrail® dwarf hamster habitat.  (I include this evidentiary screen grab as a response to the mild scepticism with which that information was greeted at work.)


However, I wasn't entirely certain that this unexpected find would actually work as a spacesuit helmet.  In other words, would it fit on my head?  By carefully carving away at the bottom of the habitat, I was able to create a suitable opening, and tried it on.


To my relief, it was a perfect fit.  Now all I had to do was figure out how to make it work...

Obviously I couldn't use it the way it was - some people might be able to work with a pink spacesuit, but my approach to this sort of thing is more old school, so a good coat of paint was in order.  I decided that a mix of classic NASA spacesuit white with orange accents would go nicely with the blue coverall that I'd purchased, so it was off to Home Depot™ to do some shopping for paint, masking tape, and whatever else might catch my eye as a possible spacesuit accessory (which, as it turned out, included a pair of black and white work gloves.)

Before starting to paint, I did basic assembly on the vambraces - forearm pieces, for those of you with no background in the terminology of medieval armour.  I trimmed out the ends of the plastic covers, epoxied them together with some segments from toner cartridges, and the basic pieces were ready to go.  I also chose a selection of ornamental bits and pieces to be painted orange, and I was ready to go.

The only part of the costume that would require special care during the painting process was the helmet, since I wanted the visor left clear. I carefully masked the appropriate area, nominated the far corner of my living room as the paint booth, and started painting.


As the saying goes, don't try this at home. Seriously, don't.  If you live in an apartment, partitioning off and drop sheeting an area for painting is not really a practical thing - if I didn't live alone, or if I still had a cat, I don't think I would have attempted something that resulted in paint fumes, overspray, and general mess to the extent that this project did.




As October 31st came closer, I decided that I'd need to make a few compromises.  My original plan included some kind of elaborate boots and greaves to match the look of the arm pieces, but prudence dictated something more modest - a ten dollar pair of nylon winter boots from the Salvation Army store filled the gap instead. I also had to come up with some kind of collar and backpack for the body of the spacesuit.

One of my Home Depot™ purchases was a four gallon bucket, more for future utility usage than as a costume element, but a quick check showed that the helmet would fit perfectly into the top of the pail.  I sketched out an approximate profile to fit over my shoulders, starting chopping away with a utility knife, and voilá, one slightly retro spacesuit collar, ready to be painted white.


In fact, the whole thing was starting to develop a bit of a retro 50s spacesuit feel, so I decided to continue in that direction with the backpack and the collar.  The chassis for the backpack was a chopped-down infant car seat that someone had put out for pickup, and I added in a selection of colourful bits and pieces to suggest oxygen tanks, a sort of regulator, and so on.  I added some lengths of white plastic hose to connect the air supply to the collar, bolted the collar to the backpack, glued some decorative bits to the outfit, and I was pretty much ready for Hallowe'en.


- Sid

 (And then there were the parts that I didn't use...)


2 comments:

  1. Looking for a pattern to be able to cut the bucket for my own helmet. Got one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could help, but I did everything freehand.

    - Sid

    ReplyDelete