Monday, September 24, 2012

Or the Wardrobe, for you Narnia fans.



This is my living room.

And, as living rooms go, there's really not a lot to say about it.  It owes a large debt to IKEA, as so many transient living rooms do, there's a forgettable Frank Lloyd Wright poster over the couch, a couple of paintings by my friend Norah the artist, books, DVDs, some antique cameras, and that's that. Pictures of my dining nook, my kitchen and my bedroom would reveal a similar approach to decorating.


And then there's this one other room...thousands of science fiction and fantasy novels, comic books under the desk, some boxes of Heavy Metal fantasy art magazines, my toy robots, a Starcraft action figure, my Atlantean shortsword, a chrome battleaxe, my globe of Mars, a Dalek, computer game boxes, the R2D2 mug that my nephew Chris made for me about 25 years ago, and right now a big stack of bits and pieces destined to become a Hallowe'en spacesuit. (Or not.)

It's funny to realize that, as far as my geek life goes, I haven't really come out of the TARDIS, so to speak.  Seal off that second bedroom, and there's no evidence in my apartment of the interest in science fiction and fantasy which has been a mainstay of my entire life.  I've no idea why.  It's not as if I'd have any difficulty decorating the living room with classic science fiction movie posters and moving a few robots onto the wall unit - why don't I?

At some fundamental level, I'm still self-conscious - if not embarrassed - by my hobby.  The term "self-conscious" is well chosen, because other than some high school ostracism, there haven't been any incidents in my life where it's been a barrier in any way.  The current social environment embraces - or at least accepts - the geek lifestyle, but the lessons taught to me during my redneck childhood subconsciously tell me that I should be watching baseball highlights on TSN rather than Voyager reruns on Space.

But there's hope.  After all, I do have this blog with my actual real name on it, and the people I work with know that I'm a geek, and they've generally been pretty accepting.  In fact, as it turns out, one or two of them are geeks as well.  Hmmm...I wonder how they've decorated their living rooms?
- Sid

4 comments:

  1. Does that mean that I'm out,so to speak, since I seem to have science fiction everywhere?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes it does. You, Dorothy, are living the dream.
    - Sid

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much do you think a person's domicile should say about them when one walks through the door?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, well, interesting question. Obviously your home doesn't have to make a statement as such, but in my case I'm very aware of the dichotomy between the manner in which 3/4 of the space presents me, and the remaining 1/4. Bottom line, my apartment has a schizoid disorder. Because you have no furniture, possessions or hobbies, you probably don't suffer from this problem. (Well, except for that second closet...)

    - Sid

    ReplyDelete