Sunday, March 18, 2012

Inter Mundos.

If you are here because you Googled "WHAT DOES INTER MUNDOS MEAN?", it means "BETWEEN WORLDS", and you're very welcome.


They say that the road to Hell is paved with good intentions, and I suspect that John Carter is the result of a similar process.

To someone who's not familiar with the original material, John Carter may not be a bad movie, although box office results to date would seem to indicate that Disney's interpretation may not be able to stand on its own merits. However, from the perspective of a long term fan, it was almost puzzling in its broad departures from the story as written by Edgar Rice Burroughs a hundred years ago.

But I can see what happened - again, good intentions. Burroughs' original story suffers from some very fundamental problems, the first of which is exactly how it is that Captain Carter gets to Mars in the first place. In the text, it's an unarticulated, mystical process, seemingly based on the connection between a fighting man and "the god of his vocation", as Burroughs puts it.

In his defense, this sort of mystical/magical transition is fairly common in the fantastic literature of the time - it's a literary tool, like falling down a rabbit hole or going through a looking glass. E. R. Eddison does it ten years later in The Worm Ouroborous, H. P. Lovecraft uses the same approach, Lord Dunsany does it on innumerable occasions, as does Clark Ashton Smith, and so on. I attribute it quite simply to the lack of any popular concept of space travel: after all, Burroughs is writing in 1912.

The people behind John Carter are hampered by a knowledge of space programs and a century of speculative fiction. As a result, they obviously felt that the audience would require some kind of hardware, something based in science rather than fantasy. So Carter's transition becomes the result of a sort of transporter beam.

But where would such a thing come from? The writers decided that it would be an alien mechanism - but would the Martians have such a thing? So the writers create a more advanced alien race to be the creators of the transporter.

But why would there be a hidden conduit between the two planets? Aha, the more advanced aliens are plotting to take over Earth! No, wait, Earth AND Mars! No, wait, they're already taking over Mars!

And so on, and so on, and so on. The result of all this is a confusing, poorly explained mess of a plot that uses all of the names from the books, but that leaves out too many of the things that made the original story so entertaining. The sad thing is that they didn't need to do any of that. If handled properly and with some appreciation of the original material, John Carter could have been a fantastic steampunk adventure, a charming historical/futuristic adventure with a quaint lack of scientific accuracy.


The glimpses of that potential make the movie all the more disappointing. The artistic direction makes a good attempt at evoking an alien culture, the four-armed green Martians aren't too bad, and I give full marks to Lynn Collins as the incomparable Dejah Thoris - she comes very close to being the Princess of Mars that I had imagined, the woman whose love inspires a castaway from another planet to fight his way across an entire world in order to rescue her.

However, for the most part I was too distracted by all the lost opportunities.  Disney, if you wanted to make this movie, that's fine - but why couldn't you see that everything you needed was right there in the original book?
- Sid

15 comments:

  1. While I agree that they should have kept the fantasy aspect of the transportation to Mars, I also understand why they created the medallions of the Therns and the 9th ray being linked to 'machines' to try to appeal to the sci-fi fans. I hadn't read the books before I saw the movie, but I enjoyed it so much I got the whole set so I could compare it, and having read the first three books twice and the next four once so far, I will be watching the movie for the 27th time tonight... my goal is to see it for the 40th time on my 40th birthday! Why? Because I see the amazing movie for what it is in spite of its departure from the books in some ways. I understand why they decided to change certain things to appeal better to the chosen target audience and make sense more easily than if they would have stuck to the books completely, yet I also take no exception to those who love the books and didn't like it for that reason. The problem, imo, was that they didn't market it correctly (no Woola plushie, seriously?) and I am sad that so many of the responses I've read seemed to lack the logic and knowledge that yours did, so thank you for at least showing that intelligence still exists in our realm! I was so angry reading all of the comments on other blogs where the people kept asking, 'How can he jump or be so strong?' Like my 81-year-old mother observed, Mars has different gravity so of course he can jump and have greater strength, and she only made it to the 7th grade a long time ago, so what is the excuse of those who went to school in my time or later? It was explained TWICE in the movie too, so I'm rather annoyed still by the lack of attention and ability to understand concepts that are elemental. Anyway, I just wanted to first thank you for a better explanation for why you think it wasn't all it could be, and I have to agree somewhat, but I'm still hoping that a sequel will somehow find its way to me so Carthoris will come on the scene. If they can do it right, they might even get from Tara all the way to Ulysses ^___^ God Bless Ya Bunches in Woola Kisses! *lol*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too didn't read the books till after, and I now can read them over and over. I wish they would make a John Carter series based on all the books. I have bought, and wore out 4 copies of the DVD that I can watch over and over and still catch unique details either visual or literary. I think adding the sci-fi medallion was the correct way to go because it makes so much more sense, rather than just "wishing upon mars" as I read it, to fly through space to that destination. Hopefully someone, 'hint' 'hint' Netflix or Hulu will make some sorta sequel, though the egg thing for John and Dejah is a little weird. Here's to you, John Carter, the Calvary man of my dreams.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Tonja. I envy you a little bit, I might have a completely different view of John Carter if I had come to it with fresh eyes. As it was, it was very difficult for me to watch it without comparing it to the story that I already knew. I'm pleased to hear that someone enjoys it as much as you so obviously do, and who knows, maybe we will get a sequel, one that we'll all like.

    I took the liberty of clicking on the link for your name - congratulations for getting some interest in your book from a literary agent! I know someone who has written the first book in a series of fantasy novels, and I've been trying to get her to create exactly the sort of online promotional presence that you have. I hope it works out for you - good luck!
    (Curious visitors are directed to http://www.eirinth.com/)
    - Sid

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the movie and have watched it numerous times, and can keep watching. I really think it is underrated, even if over budgeted.

    I can only speak for myself, but think it is as good as any scifi I have seen to date.

    I hope thier is a sequel, but not sure it can match this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everybody Wants To Be a Critic!

      This story is built on a strategy of passion, heartache, hope and love with the ability to never give up "beleiving" no matter what the obstacle.

      I'm with you I love the movie and I keep watching it over and over I think its awesome.

      The artistic work behind the cinematography, CGI, tweeked narrative, plucky comic relief is thoroughly entertaining at any age, be a child at heart that's the whole point to it! Countless children all around the world were gobsmacked when these magazines hit the stands 100 years ago, scientist Carl Sagan is one of these children!

      It's Why we had movies like Star Wars and everything else sparking the imagination and creative genius in future generations of movie producers, directors like George Lucas and Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson to name a few.

      Thank you Disney and the entire cast, film crew, producers directors writers actors and extras you've done an absolutely marvelous job. Thank you for putting the joy back in my heart.

      Kindest regards,
      Andrew

      Delete
  4. As per the original posting, my opinion of the movie is very much that of an old school Edgar Rice Burroughs fan, which makes it difficult to judge John Carter on its own merits.

    Regardless, I'm with you, I'd like to see a sequel. But I'm fascinated by your comment about the movie being "underrated, even if overbudgeted". I wonder what a less expensive version of John Carter would be like?

    - Sid

    ReplyDelete
  5. While the movie was a dismal failure
    and Many "Die Hard" ERB fans were no doubt disappointed I guess one would
    have to consider it a success in it
    having brought a new generation of
    readers to the books ( I myself being
    one who had NEVER read them but began after seeing the movie).
    I too would LOVE to see a sequel
    but since Hollywood is just basically
    a business I am doubtful it will get one...more is the pity, =(

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're comparing the way a movie was made to Hell? That's a bit extreme isn't it? How silly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes silly!
      "Do Ta So Jat!" (My right arms).
      Kind regards,
      Andrew

      Delete
    2. Its Dotar Sojat. Read the book/ watch the caption

      Delete
  7. I am a 70 year old retired emergency room nurse that loves science fiction. I have dealt with 'real' enough. I love, love, love this movie and I certainly hope they make a sequel. Visuals are stunning. It does deviate from the book, but I don't care...it is FUN to watch. I bypassed this movie for quite a while because I couldn't get passed the description. I didn't see civil war soldier to Mars. I watched the movie then read the books, enjoying it all. Come on everyone, don't you like a good fantasy once in a while? I do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a si fi fan of fifty years I was questioning this film from the start. If you had a transporter of some type, why would you transport yourself into the desert, miles away from your start point, without transport and close to the territory of the green men. Surely you would travel from your home area to a point on earth (the cave) and then return to the safety of your start point.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're putting too much thought into it. You must remember John took the medallion as the thern was speaking the words. Wherever the then was when he left mars is where he would return. So more than likely the then was standing in that place in the desert when he said, "ook oheim okte weis Jasoom"

    ReplyDelete