Monday, July 18, 2011

"Now are our brows bound with victorious wreaths"



Giggle giggle giggle....

As I've already mentioned, I'm off for a three week European vacation in August.  The middle part involving Italy and the Mediterranean cruise with Felix the Cat is all taken care of, reservations, tickets, bookings et al., and now I'm filling in the English and French parts before and after.

Finding things to do in London is hardly a problem, but I thought it might be interesting to break with my usual sightseeing lineup and do something different.  Initially, I had hoped to see Kevin Spacey's eponymous performance in Richard III for the innovative Bridge Project version of the play currently being done at the Old Vic, but apparently that's been sold out since day one.  Hmmm....what else, what else....

Regardless, last night I booked a London transit pass along with an attractions pass guaranteed to get me into 80 fascinating tourist spots, and then decided to take a break from vacation planning.

So it was a COMPLETE fluke that I found a link to the following on TDW Geek: *


Yes, the Doctor Who Experience, currently in London and now booking until September 4th, conveniently located within about a minute's walk from the Olympia Underground station.
The Doctor Who Experience invites you to step through a crack in time allowing you to join the Doctor on a journey through time and space, encountering some of the best-loved and scariest monsters from the hit international television series. Special scenes filmed with Matt Smith as the Doctor combine with amazing special effects and the chance to enter a recreation of the modern TARDIS.

The exhibition element of the Doctor Who Experience charts the success of the TV show from the first series in 1963 to the most recent episodes starring Matt Smith and Karen Gillan. Displays in the exhibition include items never seen before including original costumes, the Tom Baker TARDIS police box and two authentic TARDIS sets from the eras of David Tennant and Peter Davison. You will also be able to get up close and personal with iconic sets from recent series, including the Pandorica Box and Chair and confront numerous monsters including several generations of the Daleks and Cybermen as well as Silurians, an Ice Warrior and a Zygon.
Giggle giggle giggle...

Okay, fine, it's not bloody Shakespeare, but I have to admit that I may quite possibly end up having more fun at the Doctor Who Experience when I make my way there on August 23rd.  Hmmm....I hope I can get someone to take my picture beside a Dalek...
- Sid
 
P.S. And then I got ALL excited when I realized that HMV London sells Doctor Who DVD collections for a quarter of the price they charge at HMV Vancouver!  Yep, got all excited for about half an hour, then I thought, "No, wait, wrong bloody DVD Region."  Sigh...

*  Yes, I'm a regular visitor to The Daily What: Geek - "Games, Gadgets, Comics, Science and Sci-Fi".  Should this really be a surprise to anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment