Saturday, January 15, 2011

This, That, and the Other.

Just some quick updates regarding previous postings.


Whatever book that's from.


Okay - the pivotal scene at the end of The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader where the dragon fights the giant sea serpent/leech from Edmund's nightmares at the Isle of the Dark, where they've gone to find the last of the seven magical Swords of Aslan which will allow them to dispel the evil and rescue the islanders who have been sent as offerings to the Darkness? Very well presented in the movie version, I thought - which is probably good, considering that it doesn't have the least connection with the original text.


Doctor Who: The Next Generation?

"New teeth - that's weird."
David Tennant's first line as Doctor Who.
Ex-Doctor Who David Tennant is now engaged to girlfriend Georgia Moffett*, the woman who played his cloned daughter in a 2008 episode of the show and who is the actual daughter of another ex-Doctor Who, Peter Davison.  And they're expecting a baby. Forget new teeth, David, this is weird.


Fame is where you find it.
Writer and ex-coworker Annie quit her job a few months ago in order to work full time on her young adult fantasy novel.  Wow, imagine if she turns out to be the next J. K. Rowling and people flock to the posting on my blog to read her first interview!

Meh - somehow I doubt it will be enough to get me onto Oprah.


Fun for the whole family.
I somehow missed the movie adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's grim post-apocalyptic masterpiece The Road when it was in commercial release, and had some difficulty finding it at a reasonable price after its release to DVD. (Odd how some movies never seem to get onto the 2 for $20 shelves at HMV. For example, District 9 has just now come down in price as well, but I'm debating going Blu-ray for that one.) However, as part of my holiday gift certificate purchases, I found a cheap copy at Amazon.ca and dropped it into my shopping cart.

Without reprising the plot, let's just say that the movie beautifully (if not completely faithfully) captures the desperate, nihilistic tone of the novel.  Okay, maybe "beautifully" isn't the right word here, but you get the idea.


If you can't say something nice.
And finally, words cannot express my pleased astonishment at having received a comment from Scott Francis, the author of The Monster Spotter's Guide to North America, on my posting about his book. Good thing my comments were positive!  But I think that it would be a salutary experience for everyone who's put their opinion of someone else's work online to have the object of their criticism reply in person. 
- Sid

* By the way, Ms. Moffett has huge geek cred - in addition to being a Doctor's daughter, The Doctor's Daughter, and the Doctor's fiancĂ©e and the mother of his child (perhaps his daughter), her mother, Sandra Dickinson, played Trillian in the BBC TV adaptation of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  As they say in Wayne's World, "We're not worthy..."
 

5 comments:

  1. I thought that 'The Road' was well done as well and close to the novel in it's adaptation. I have a tendency to think of films like this as important to see, if for no other reason than they break with convention. Bleak art though. The same with another adaptation of McCarthy's work, 'No Country for Old Men'.

    The ex-Doctor Who Tennant girlfriend pregnant thingy is weird I'll admit. After reading about it I was reminded about something I read years ago in 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'. I won't be able to recall precisely but it had something to do with there being an accident involving a time machine and a birth control pill, or something like that, so that Zaphod was actually his own great grandfather (again, or something).

    I'm glad to see that you got a comment from Scott Francis. It's nice to realize that there are readers of the blog out there. I know he must have done a search looking for (self) references, but still it was nice that he replied.

    Narnia is going to have to wait until I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Bigfoot True or pseudo? For over 400 many years, there have already been reporting’s of a guy like animal that is definitely wholly covered in hair.
    [url=http://www.is-bigfoot-real.com/]bigfoot videos[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bigfoot is an interesting example, given that it's one of the best known cryptids of all. (We won't say "best known" - I want to avoid negative comments from Loch Ness Monster fans.)

    If Bigfoot does exist, it is the only primate to have developed on the North American continent, and it has chosen to make its stand in the Pacific Northwest, an area without the sort of easily accessible food supplies that more temperate climes offer to its cousins. Both of these things make me frown a bit, but I'm open to authoritative explanations.

    However, my bottom line remains the same: just show me one. I'd be a lot happier with the idea if the corpse of a sasquatch had been found tangled in a log boom on the Fraser River. I'll even settle for a picture if it's in good focus - why is blurriness always the common denominator in these photos?
    - Sid

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I clone your article to my blog? Thank you…
    I also strongly recommend to watch Arthur online, it's awesome movie, rating A+

    ReplyDelete
  5. The preceding comment was flagged as spam, and obviously is, but I published it so that I could speak to it:

    Screw off. Even if this was a legitimate comment, no, you would NOT be welcome to "clone" any of my postings. People are welcome to link to the postings, but if by cloning you mean copying and pasting, thanks, no.

    Gosh - maybe I should take a few minutes to search for IR postings in other locations...

    - Sid

    ReplyDelete