Thursday, March 18, 2010

Wrong question.


Lt. Commander Data: I have been testing the aphorism, "A watched pot never boils." I have boiled the same amount of water in this kettle sixty-two times. In some cases I have ignored the kettle; in others, I have watched it intently. In every instance, the water reaches its boiling point in precisely 51.7 seconds. It appears I am not capable of perceiving time any differently than my internal chronometer.
Commander William T. Riker: Why don't you turn it off?
Data: Sir?
Riker: Data, people do not have internal chronometers. Why don't you see what happens if you turn yours off?
Data: Thank you, sir. I will try that.
[Riker nods and gets up to leave, but stops]
Riker: Just don't be late for your shift!
Star Trek:  The Next Generation, Timescape
At work today, one of my co-workers noticed that I was standing beside the kettle with a tea bag, a mug, and a patient expression.  Quickly sizing up the situation, she cheerfully commented, "You know, if you watch it, it won't boil."

Without even pausing, I replied, "No, they tested that on Star Trek - Data boiled a kettle at the end of one episode and it boiled in the same length of time whether he watched it or not.  Riker told him to turn off his internal chronometer and try it again."

She shook her head and said, "I have no idea how you can remember these things!"

No no, not how, why
- Sid

P.S. Yes, I am aware of the irony of putting up this posting immediately following my last entry, thank you for asking.

No comments:

Post a Comment