Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Digital Reading Part One: Dead Trees vs. Melted Sand.



Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
- Groucho Marx
As readers of this blog will have already figured out, I'm a bit of a fan of books. Those of you who have responded to this by deciding that I must have enough books by now, so no more Chapters gift certificates for me - well, sadly this is not going to stop me from adding to my little library.

I do have to admit that there are problems accompanying the possession of a large number of books. Effectively, I do have a library - I have about 3,000 books lined up on the shelves behind me, and that's probably more than most libraries have in their science fiction and fantasy sections. In addition to having to find space for those shelves, there are obvious issues relating to relocating. When the representative from the moving company* came to my house to give me a quote for the move to Vancouver, his first comment was, "Wow, you've got a lot of books, that's going to be more expensive."

So, just as people like my friend Colin regretfully discovered that it's easier to move around an iPod than 12 crates of vinyl albums, I've given some cautious consideration to the digital library as an alternative.

There are several digital readers on the marketplace: Amazon’s Kindle is now on version 2, Barnes & Noble have just released the Nook, Sony has the Pocket, the Touch, and soon the Daily, and Plastic Logic will be introducing the Que next month. There are minor variations in weight and thickness, but basically they all offer a screen ranging from the size of a paperback to a sheet of paper, with a couple of gigabytes of storage and wireless access to internet bookstores.

At the moment, all of these cleverly named devices share the same problem: they're too bloody expensive. Prices weigh in at about $250-$400+ right across the board, and that's just for the reader, books are extra. However, we're looking at a technology that's in its infancy, and I'm sure that as demand develops prices will drop.

Impressed though I am by the whole futuristic concept of the virtual book as signified by Kindle, Nook, et al., personally, I feel that they're all going to fail in the long run. This won't be caused by any flaw in the product but due to a lack of perception about the nature of the marketplace.

The utility of handheld devices lies in diversity of function and convenience of size. Apple recognizes this, which is why their palm-sized iPhone is also an iPod, gives you internet access for e-mail and browsing, and has a large and growing library of applications - including, of course, applications for reading ebooks. The bottom line is that people don't want to carry around four or five different little boxes: one for music, one for phone calls, one for books, and so on. They also don't want to carry around something the size of a book or larger in lieu of a book.

My personal solution follows this philosophy. I've managed to dodge the cellphone bullet until now, but I’ve owned a succession of little personal organizers since the 90's, and in addition to features such as an address book, calendar, note pad, calculator, etc., you can also download and install the free ebook reader software of your choice. My current device is shown to the left - I purchased it used on Craigslist for about $25, installed PalmReader and Mobipocket, and I was all set.

The thing that amuses me is that when some people realize that I'm reading a book on my slightly battered Palm Tungsten, they frown and say "But the screen is so small, how can you read that?", then excuse themselves so that they can catch up on e-mails or text messages on their iPhone or Blackberry. It seems oddly appropriate to say that there are none so blind as those who will not see...
- Sid

* NEVER EVER EVER EVER hire the Prince Moving Company. Feel free to tell them that I said that.

1 comment:

  1. And so anyone who decides that you already have enough books and therefore wouldn't need or want any more.........is mistaken, provided future acquisitions are an asset to your library!

    ReplyDelete