Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Wider perspectives - or not.


As already established, I've been reading science fiction for what has effectively been my entire life. And, as a result, I think that I have an enhanced inner life, a broader imagination.

After all, I've seen Mankind skip through time like a child crossing a stream from rock to rock. I've watched post-human societies grapple with profound philosophical crises, and I've witnessed the death of the universe we know, and the start of universes unknown to us. Time itself has ended in front of my eyes, planets have been moved like pieces on a chessboard, galaxy-spanning wars for survival have been fought, and won, and lost.

And yet, and yet...half the goddamn science fiction movies that get made seem to involve nothing more thought-provoking than seemingly endless variations on hungry alien monstrosities dripping KY jelly. Sigh...

- Sid

No comments:

Post a Comment