Friday, May 25, 2007

From the ridiculous to the sublime.

To follow up from my previous post, some covers that have it all: bubble helmets, see through spacesuits, impractical metal bras, bug eyed monsters, and the Galaxy cover as sort of an honourable mention. And yes, the woman on the Planet Stories cover is wearing spiffy red high heels.

And now, the reality of fashionable spacewear, as modelled by Canada's own female astronaut, Roberta Bondar. (Photo courtesy of the NASA web site.) I've had the pleasure of very briefly meeting Dr. Bondar, and frankly, if something goes wrong in orbit, this is the person you want with you, rather than the helplessly screaming woman in the yellow miniskirt from the Captain Future cover - I think of Roberta Bondar as being Canada's answer to Ellen Ripley.

- Sid
 
P.S. A friend of mine read this post and expressed her surprise that I knew Ripley's first name was Ellen. What, did you miss the part where I said I'd been an SF/fantasy fan since birth, Laurie? 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment