Sunday, April 29, 2007

Okay, it's self-interest.

To my mild pleasure, this month I made my way into print for the first time. A locally published magazine of children's fiction saw fit to accept a submission from me, and I received my two author's copies in the mail on Friday. The magazine is Crow Toes Quarterly, and although only two issues in, is making a strong attempt to position itself as a source of unconventional fiction for children.

This is all well and good, but why did I find it appropriate to mention here? Well, of course, it's a science fiction children's story, what else would I write? The story is titled The End with a Big E and although I doubt that anyone will figure it out, the end with a big E is entropy - the story deals with the entropic decay of the universe, although it's really more of a fantasy, there's no scientific validity to the damn thing at all. Nonetheless, it was a fun little thing to write, and I have to confess that when I read it I cry a little at the end. Half of my two-child test audience (thanks to Les, my ex-supervisor) had the same reaction, so it can't be entirely bad. To be honest, I have no idea where it would be for sale, but feel free to visit the Crow Toes web site and ask them about distribution.
- Sid

No comments:

Post a Comment