Wednesday, October 27, 2010

"Step 7: Add some blood and you're done!"



Just a quick in-progress photo of some zombie makeup testing - I wanted to try making an oozing sore (yes, I know, there must be absolutely nothing worth watching on TV tonight).  I did an initial layer of white glue on my cheek - white glue is the poor man's alternative to latex makeup* - and after it had dried down a bit, tore open a hole.  Then I curled back the edges of the hole, and added on some more glue to build up the depth.  I think I'll try for some more depth when this is dry, but it's not a bad proof-of-concept:  just add some red to the interior to create the effect of an open wound, maybe judiciously drip in some some pus as per yesterday's posting, and voilĂ .

And what is everyone else doing with their evenings?
- Sid

* The down side of white glue versus liquid latex is slower drying time, so I'll be getting up quite early on Friday morning to go into makeup, as they say in Hollywood.

3 comments:

  1. well im doing the same thing only its not on my face ... its on my arms and chest.. i need ot make my self look slaughtered angel.... its fun! but did you remember the vaselene? minght not need it under the glue but with the liquid latex im useing you need it under so when you take it off it doesnt hurt as bad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do zombies all look so grisly? Isn't anyone buried looking good? Without bleeding wounds and dribbling pus, that is. So if these "people" come back to life, wouldn't they look unscathed, perhaps just a little dessicated? More like an unwrapped mummy? Of course I'm not an expert in decaying corpses....

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are various logical reasons for zombies looking horrible. First, they're dead. Depending on how long that's been part of their life, a greater or lesser degree of decay will have taken place. I suspect environmental issues have an effect as well, with Arizona zombies looking better than zombies from Vancouver or the lower mainland.

    I also seem to recall at least one movie suggesting that whatever was causing the zombie effect also caused the physical changes.

    People who have been killed and infected BY zombies will of course be, ah, juicier, let's say, and often look somewhat battered, bloodied and chewed upon, which was probably the look I ended up with.

    I also wanted to add blood for colour contrast as much as anything else. For a while I was contemplating black liquid as an option over blood - black dribbles of decay from the ears or mouth - but I ended up sticking with the fake blood, which looked very good, regardless of authenticity.
    - Sid

    ReplyDelete