It seems appropriate to use the "I'm doing my part!" meme from Starship Troopers to announce that I decided to volunteer to assist with the upcoming VCON44 convention being hosted by the West Coast Speculative Fiction Association.
I still wanted to be able to attend the event, so after some thought I asked if any help was needed with the Vcon.ca website. The response was positive, and I've since done a lot of work on putting together site content. The design template was already established when I started, so I didn't have any creative input into the process, but I'm happy to just be a production person, that's how I spent a lot of my professional life anyway.
The site is built in Wordpress, which has been an interesting learning process - I'm much more familiar with Squarespace and Wix for site management - but it's not a complicated site, and I'm starting to get a handle on how things work. (After all, there are only so many ways to assemble blocks of HTML content.)
I assume that there will be some kind of gratuity for volunteering to help. I've already purchased my ticket, so that's not an option, but a t-shirt would be a nice thank-you - fingers crossed, I do love a t-shirt.
- Sid


No comments:
Post a Comment